Thursday, December 3, 2009

Xiphoid


xiphoid: sword shaped (thanks Phrontisery!)

Swords. They're pretty cool. It seems like almost every book I read has a "legendary" one in it. For example:

Zar'roc and Brisingr (from the Inheritance trilogy)

Anduril (from Lord of the Rings)

(and others....)

I wonder what it would be like to see a wine red sword, or one with as much history as Anduril. Oh well, I guess I'll never find out (unless Inkheart is real). And now, for the prompt!


Describe the scene around this sword. Why was it abandoned there? Was there a big, decisive battle before it was left leaning on a rock? Does it have special abilities? What is the history behind its name (you'll have to come up with that too, if you wish to)?

3 comments:

  1. This sword's magical abilities revolve around its desire to be prominently displayed. It works on the mind of its bearer so that it never is sheathed and always angled towards the nearest light source. Even if the bearer falls in battle, it will be in such a way that the last glimmers of sunlight will catch its mirror polish so that it shows to best effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [writing in character]
    I leaned the sword against the rock. Stupid thing almost got me killed. I left it where I found it, just so the next knight to come along without a sword would learn to bring their own weapon. Just like I did.
    Stupid sword.
    Another knight passed me as I left the cave, battered and exhausted.
    His sheath was empty.
    [Out of Character (OOC)]
    Like it! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete